Merrill Creek Reservoir offers one paid internship position each summer. Please see the full description below. The deadline to apply is March 1st. The application period for 2022 is now closed.
Opportunities to volunteer may be available. Please contact John Parke, Environmental Specialist @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 908-454-3339 for more information.
Natural Resource Management Internship
Merrill Creek Reservoir (MCR) is a 650-acre reservoir surrounded by a 290-acre Environmental Preserve and 2000 additional acres of woods and fields in Warren County, NJ. Its basic purpose is to provide stored water that can be released to the Delaware River to make up for the evaporative water usage at certain electric generating units in times of low flow in the river. In addition to that basic purpose, Merrill Creek Reservoir provides a tranquil setting of water and land that allows people to interact with the natural environment. Opportunities for public recreation include hiking, boating, fishing and hunting. In addition, the volunteers that manage Scott’s Mountain Hawk watch at MCR each fall observe one of the most impressive raptor migrations on the east coast of the U.S. MCR offers free, year-round environmental education to the public in the form of school field trips, family events and continuing education for adults.
Merrill Creek Reservoir actively stewards the onsite aquatic and terrestrial resources and maintains active fisheries, forestry, wildlife management and public access plans. The Intern will work with the Environmental Specialist to implement these plans through a variety of types of field and office work.
Training and resources will be provided to gain knowledge and skills related to the position.
Responsibilities may include:
- Tracking and mapping of the MCR eastern box turtle population in cooperation with the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife’s Nongame and Endangered Species Program.
- Monitoring productivity of 25 nest boxes on the MCR Bluebird Trail in cooperation with the NJ Bluebird Society.
- Habitat restoration though the eradication of invasive plants and installation of native replacements.
- Restoration of a small pond to improve breeding habitat for the MCR amphibian population.
- Design and development of exhibits in the Visitor Center and outdoor learning areas.
- Presentation of educational programs to the public.
- Maintenance of public access areas including trails and boating areas.
- Interaction and education of public visitors as a boat ramp attendant and evening patrol.
- Care of onsite captive reptile collection.
- Other duties as required.
- Major in Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science, Biology or related field.
- Interest in recreation resource management, trail work, and public access issues; must be physically able to walk 4+ miles a day over varied terrain and lift up to 50 lbs in a variety of weather conditions.
- Tolerance of exposure to poison ivy, stinging and biting insects and ticks carrying Lyme Disease.
- The ability to work within a team as well as being able to work independently.
- Positive attitude and a desire to enhance the natural world.
- Ability to troubleshoot and make decisions without compromising safety.
- Ability to maintain a high level of organization and accuracy when collecting, analyzing and reporting data.
- Competency in a variety of computer applications, including Facebook, Word, Excel and Canva. Proficiency in Google Earth/GIS is a significant plus.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Qualified applicants must pass a pre-employment drug screening.
- Weekend work may be required.
Commitment and Compensation:
Term of Employment: May- September 2022
Position is full-time (35-40 hrs/week), seasonal. $14.50/hr
Merrill Creek values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Merrill Creek Reservoir is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
How to Apply:
To apply, send a resume and a brief statement of your interest in this position to email@example.com
Deadline to apply is March 1, 2022.
Date posted: January 20, 2022